Alfred Bassett1

M, #6, b. 2 January 1864, d. 26 September 1944
Alfred Bassett 1864-1944
FatherJohn Bassett1 b. 1 Aug 1824, d. 14 Nov 1897
MotherJane Thomas1 b. 6 Dec 1826, d. 12 Mar 1867
RelationshipGreat-grandfather of Keith Graham Bassett
ChartsAncestors of Keith Graham Bassett
Last Edited5 May 2022
Birth*2 January 1864 Mt Pleasant, SA, Australia;
When Born: 2nd January 1864
Name: Alfred
Sex: Male
Name and Surname of Father: John Bassett
Name and Maiden Name of Mother: Jane Bassett, formerly Thomas
Rank or Profession of Father: Cordwiner [sic]
Residence of Parents: Mount Pleasant2 
Death of Mother12 March 1867 Mount Pleasant, SA, Australia;
When Died: 12th March 1867
Name and Surname: Jane Bassett
Sex: F
Age: 41
Rank or Profession: wife of John Bassett, Shoemaker, Mt Pleasant
Usual Residence: Mt Pleasant
Cause of Death: Syncopsy consequent on long duration of Dropsy, Geo H Robinson M.D.
Place where Death occurred: Mount Pleasant;Principal=Jane Thomas3 
Land*1868 Bungowannah, NSW, Australia;
CP 68-2734 50 acres
Note: recorded in the name of Alfred Bassett, but Alfred would have only been 4, so effectively a purchase by John Bassett;Principal=John Bassett4 
News-Arct*24 February 1886 "The Riverine Grazier", Hay, NSW, Australia;
Conditional Leases under clause 54 approved: — Land District of Condobolin — Alfred Bassett. Condobolin, 500a. applied for, 500a. approved of, county of Cunningham, parish of New Bundabutra; Walter Bassett, Condobolin, 500a. applied for, 500a. approved of, county of Cunningham, parish of New Bundaburra;Principal=Walter Bassett5 
Marriage*25 June 1888 All Saints, Condobolin, NSW, Australia;
Groom: Alfred Bassett
Status: Bachelor
Place of Birth: Mount Pleasant, South Australia
Occupation: Farmer
Age: 24
Usual Residence: Derriwong
Father: John Bassett
Occupation: Shoe-maker
Mother: Jane Thomas or Bassett

Bride: Emma Teresa Whiley
Status: Spinster
Place of Birth: Maree Creek, near Orange
Age: 21
Usual Residence: Brent Cottage, Borambil
Father: James Whiley
Occupation: Farmer
Mother: Margaret Simmons or Whiley

Date of Marriage: 25th June 1888
Place of Marriage: All Saints Church, Condobolin NSW
Religion: Church of England
Witnesses: Henry Bassett, Amy Piercy
Minister: R Barry Brown;Bride=Emma Theresa Whiley6 
Death of Father14 November 1897 "Bellview", Condobolin, NSW, Australia;
Name: John Bassett
Date of Death: 14 Nov 1897
Place of Death: Bellview, Condobolin
Occupation: Selector
Sex: Male
Age: 75 years
Conjugal Status:
Place of Birth: Penzance, Cornwal, England
Time in Aust Colonies: 50 years

Father: Not stated
Occupation: Not stated
Mother: Not stated

Place of Marriage 1: Penzance, Cornwall, England
Age at Marriage 1: 21 years
Name of Spouse 1: Jane Thomas
Children of Marriage 1: James 49, John 47, Ellen 45, Elizabeth 42, Walter 37, Henry 35, Alfred 32 living; deceased 1 male

Place of Marriage 2: Beachworth, Victoria
Age at Marriage 2: 53 years
Name of Spouse 2: Elizabeth Polmear
Children of Marriage 2: Arthur 20, William 18, Ernest 12 living

Informant: James Bassett, son, "Springs Gully", Derrawong, Condobolin

Cause of Death: order of burial by justice peace
Length of Illness: three years
Medical Attendant:
Date Last Seen: Inquest unnecessary H W Grey JP 14th November 1897

Date of Burial: 15 Nov 1897
Place of Burial: Cemetery Condobolin
Minister & Religion: W A Walker, Wesleyan
Undertaker: F W Marlin
Witnesses: A W H Lestrange, J A Dawson;Principal=John Bassett7 
News-Arct2 August 1899 "The Daily Telegraph", Sydney, NSW, Australia;
Word comes from Derrawong that last Thursday, Alfred Bassett, a farmer and grazier, lost his house and contents by fire. The family were at the Condobolin show when the fire took place. The house and contents were insured for £175 in the Mercantile Mutual Office. It is probable an inquiry will be held.8 
Census 1901*1901 Harland Farm, near Derriwong, NSW, Australia;
Locality: Harland Farm near Derriwong Mountain
Name of Householder: Alfred Bassett
Number of Persons: 6 males, 2 females9 
News-Arct2 May 1902 "The Lachlander", Condobolin, NSW, Australia;
Police Court.
Friday, 25th April, 1902.
(Before E. A. L. Sharpe, Esq., P.M.)
N. Z. Loan Association v. William Bassett—Trespass on Borambil holding.
Mr. Driffield appeared for the plaintiff Company.
The accused pleaded guilty and was fined 5s with 4s 10d costs, £1 1s professional costs, and 2 witnesses at 5s each.
Police v. Alfred Bassett—Cruelly illtreating a horse.
Constable Parker deposed that on 7th April he saw accused riding a chestnut mare which was suffering with a sore back and girthgall; the sore on the back was about the size of a half crown; told accused he would summons him; he replied: "Don't be too hard on me."
The accused pleaded guilty, but wished to state that the mare in question was very tender skinned and she had a slight girthgall from a 14 mile ride two days previous. William Bassett gave evidence to the effect that the mare was not badly used; had a bit of a scald and no hair removed.
Fined £2 and 4s 10d costs of court.
Police v. A. Bassett—Charged with stealing. a saddle cloth valued at about 3s, the property of J. J. Gleeson.
Constable Parker stated that on 7th April last he proceeded along the Forbes road and overtook defendant; asked him if he would mind being searched; accused replied; "No"; found the saddle cloth (produced) on the mare he was riding; when asked where he got it he replied that his boy picked it up at the 4 mile gate and gave it to him; the property was claimed by Mr. Gleeson.
John Joseph Gleeson stated that he kept his horse at Mrs. Munro's stable; he gave information to the police that he had lost a saddle cloth; he identified the cloth produced as his property; he left the cloth in the stable with the saddle on the 6th and afterwards saw it on a chestnut mare in the same stable; gave no one permission to touch it.
Alfred Bassett stated he arrived at Condobolin at 8.30 a.m. on 7th instant; his son was standing near the stable; he put his horse in and asked for some feed; the boy pointed to a bag, with a small quantity of chaff, and in giving it to the horse discovered the cloth; asked the boy where he got it; he replied at the 4 mile gate, hanging on the fence, and put it into the chaff bag so that it would not be lost; he (defendant) then placed it on the mare in the stable.
Othar Bassett, son of defendant, remembered his father arriving at about 8 o'clock at Mrs. Munro's stable; he saw a bag there with a saddle cloth in it; the cloth was the same one that he found at the 4 mile gate.
The Bench stated that the evidence was not sufficient against the defendant, but very much doubted the reliability of the youth and cautioned defendant (his father) to be careful how he conducted himself in future.
Case dismissed, saddle cloth ordered to be handed over to J. J. Gleeson.
N. Z. Loan Association v. Othar Bassett—Being illegally on Borambil and giving a false name.
Mr Driffield appeared for the plaintiffs.
Defendant pleaded guilty and was fined £2, 4s 10d costs of court, and £1 1s professional costs.10 
Police-gzte*10 December 1902 NSW, Australia;
Alfred Bassett, charged with maliciously killing a sheep on the property of C. H. Thatcher, of Moonbie, near Warroo, on the 24th ultimo, has been arrested by Constables Brandon and McRae, Warroo Police. Committed for trial at Forbes Quarter Sessions. Bail allowed.11 
News-Arct*28 November 1905 "The Sydney Morning Herald", Sydney, NSW, Australia;

CONDOBOLIN.-Mr. Alfred Bassett brought in a fine sample of lucerne, 4ft 6in high, grown on his farm at Moonbi by irrigation, it being a fair sample of the whole crop.
News-Arct24 June 1907 "The Sydney Morning Herald", Sydney, NSW, Australia;

Last evening Mr. Alfred Bassett was driving a pair in a sulky from Derriwong to Condobolin. He attempted to get out of the trap at the Four-mile Gate on Derriwong-road, and the horses moved on. Mr. Bassett was thrown to the ground, lodging on his head and shoulder. He managed to drive to Condobolin, where it was found that the cap of the left shoulder was broken, and he was suffering from other injuries. He was attended to by Dr. Kearney.13 
News-Arct3 June 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", Sydney, NSW, Australia;

The Quarter Sessions opened yesterday morning, and finished this afternoon. Alfred Bassett, charged with perjury, pleaded not guilty. He was defended by Mr. Boyce, instructed by Mr. Cummins. The jury failed to agree after being locked up all night, and accused was bound over to appear at the next Court of Quarter Sessions at Condobolin, or such court as the Attorney-General may appoint.14 
News-Arct13 July 1909 "The Sydney Morning Herald", Sydney, NSW, Australia;
In re Bassett. This was a reference by the Condobolin Land Board for decision in respect of Alfred Bassett’s application for the conversion of his settlement lease No. 982, Condobolin, into a conditional purchase No. 1909/8 and a conditional lease, No. 1909/6, Condobolin.
The Court directed the land Board (1) that the basis to be adopted for home maintenance area is that prescribed by subsection A of section 5 of the Crown Lands (Amendment) Act, 1908; (2) that the £3000 limit provided by section C of that section applied to land within the settlement lease, without reference to the applicant’s lands elsewhere; (3) and further that it was confined to lands converted into a conditional purchase, and did not extend into a conditional lease. The case was remitted to the board for further consideration.
"Evergreen" - Moonbia Parish Map
"Evergreen" - Google Map
News-Arct21 July 1909 "The Lachlander", Condobolin, NSW, Australia;
Perjury Case.—The case of the King versus Alfred Bassett for perjury was heard at Orange on Tuesday last, and the crowd of witnesses from this town adorned the city of the hills. After a retirement of about an hour the jury returned with a verdict of not guilty, and the accused was acquitted, The same witnesses were examined that tendered evidence at the local court, in addition to a man named Dwyer and Mr F. Watson. Both of these gave evidence more in favor of the accused; and the jury asked his Honor if they believed that the accused had sworn he had lights, and honestly believed at the time he had, would they be justified in discharging him. His Honor said yes, and they immediately brought in a verdict of not guilty. Mr Boyce, instructed by Mr Cummins, appeared for Mr Bassett.16 
Photo*circa 1912 Condobolin, NSW, Australia;
;Principal=Emma Theresa Whiley17
Children of Alfred and Emma Theresa Bassett
News-Arct18 May 1912 "The National Advocate", Bathurst, NSW, Australia;
George Carpenter (23), employed at Burrawong station, was leaving Moonbie Hotel on horseback, when the horse threw him. After the fall he went back into the hotel, and retired for the night apparently not much the worse, for his experience. In the morning, however, the hotelkeeper found him unconscious in bed. Mr. A Bassett brought him to Condobolin in his motor car, but Carpenter died before the car reached town. A post-mortem examination revealed a fractured skull with a clot of blood on the brain.18 
Directory*1913 "Moonbie", Condobolin, NSW, Australia;Alf Bassett19 
News-Arct25 September 1913 "Western Champion", Parkes, NSW, Australia;
Alf. Bassett, the evergreen and smiling Alf., had the misfortune to have his motor car burnt on Monday evening. Chauffeur Seaton was driving it along the Forbes road, with the intention of meeting Mr. Bassett about 10 miles along, but when about three miles out the car caught fire, brought about through "back firing," and it was impossible without further assistance to stay the progress of the flames. The car was completely destroyed.20 
News-Arct12 June 1914 "The Forbes Times", Forbes, NSW, Australia;
The Condobolin Hall.
On Wednesday last Mr J. H. Bates journeyed to Condobolin to assist in the ceremony of laying the first stone of the new hall now being built under his supervision by Mr F. W. Marlin to the order of Mr Alf. Bassett. The first stone was "well and truly laid" by Mr Bassett himself, and another one was laid by Miss Flo. Marlin, after which the company adjourned to Host Imray's hotel, where the usual felicitations were indulged in. The new building will occupy a central position in Bathurst-street (the main thoroughfare of the town), and some idea of its proportions may be gained from the fact that it will cost something like £3,500. Mr Bassett proposes to light it by electricity, and it will really be the Town Hall of Condobolin. A floor specially suitable for skating is to be put in, and a picture show plant is also to be installed.
Grand Central Hall (renown Theatre)
Police-gzte14 April 1915 NSW, Australia;
Alfred Bassett (51), charged with stealing a coil of wire-netting, value £1 15s. (recovered), the property of Aubury Wheatley, has been arrested by Constable Fane de Salls, Warroo Police. Committed for trial at Forbes Sessions. Admitted to bail.22 
News-Arct23 April 1915 "The Forbes Times", Forbes, NSW, Australia;
Advance Condobolin
The official opening of Bassett's new hall at Condobolin took place on Wednesday evening last, and was a most successful function. The occasion was marked by the holding of a ball in aid of the hospital, and it may be added that Mr. Bassett gave the use of the hall free of charge, the Condobolin Brass Band (a collection of very capable players under the baton of Mr. Fred Imray) supplied the music free and freely, and the supper was provided by the ladies of the town and district. As there was a very large attend ance of the public the hospital should come out well on the right side. Shortly after 8 p.m. the Mayor of Condobolin, Mr Dave Tasker, junr., officially declared the hall open, and congratulated Mr. Alf Bassett upon his enterprise in erecting a hall which was second to none in the west. The Mayor also complimented the builder (Mr. F. W. Marlin) and the architect (Mr. J H. Bates) upon the manner in which the work had been carried out. Suitable responses were made by the gentlemen mentioned, and at 8.30 dancing was commenced and continued until nearly daylight, over a hundred couples gracing the floor. We might mention that the building is a palatial two-storey structure, and the inner or main hall is slightly larger in dimension than the Forbes Town Hall. The floor has been especially prepared for skating, and this form of amusement has already taken on in Condobolin.23 
News-Arct2 July 1915 "The Forbes Advocate", Forbes, NSW, Australia;
Moonbi Netting Case.
The case against William Alfred Bassett, who was committed for trial on a charge of stealing wire netting at Moonbi, was not proceeded with at Forbes Quarter Sessions this week. When the matter was called, the Crown Prosecutor explained to his Honor that Bassett was an inmate of Condobolin hospital, and was consequently unable to appear.
Mr Moloney said Bassett had been injured through a tree falling on him. It would be probably five or six weeks before he would be able to get about. A Condobolin medical officer's certificate was produced.
His Honor said he would remand Bassett to the Quarter Sessions to be held at Forbes on October 5th. Bail was allowed on the same terms as before, viz., £80.
News-Arct8 October 1915 "The Forbes Advocate", Forbes, NSW, Australia;
A Grazier Sentenced.
Alfred Bassett, on bail, was charged with stealing a roll of wire netting, the property of A. S. Wheatley, at Moonbi, on March 17, 1915.
Mr D. J. Moloney appeared for accused, who pleaded not guilty.
Jurymen empanelled were:— M. Lee, C. L. Hodges; S. M'Comiskey, E. V. Elliott, E. Facey, A. W. Wyndham, A. Anderson, W. M. Toohey, A. M. G. Haydon, A. E. Peppercorn, B. A. Heraghty, C. Geddes.
In opening the case, the Crown Prosecutor stated that the evidence for the prosecution was chiefly circumstantial.
Horace Wheatley, manager of Fairholme station, stated that on March 16th there were two coils of netting in the woolshed at Fairholme. No one had authority to remove the netting. The coil (produced) was the one which was in the shed on March 16th. Outside the shed were tracks of a cart, which had evidently been backed up to the wool landing stage. One coil was missing. Some distance from the woolshed, in the direction of Bassett's, wa s the mark of wire netting, where a coil had evidently fallen off a cart. In Bassett's paddock he had seen a coil of netting, covered over with bushes and roly polys.
To Mr Moloney: The coil of netting weighs 1 3/4 cwts and 25 1/2 lbs. l could not lift it into a sulky.
To the Crown Prosecutor: Accused is a powerful man. I know he could lift a coil of wire netting about.
Percival S. Wheatley deposed: On the night of March 16th, I was at Moonbi Hotel at 9 o'clock. I met Bassett there. Bassett left the hotel at about 11 o'clock. He was not drunk. Neither was he sober.
William Underwood deposed: I was teaching school at Newlands, near Moonbi, on March 17th. Bassett came home on the morning of March 18th, at about half past one, I was staying at Bassett's place. Next morning, on my way to school, I saw tracks of a cart about a quarter of a mile from Bassett's house. The tracks led towards a lot of scrub and roly poly. Further on I saw where the cart had turned off the road, and went in towards the woolshed.
To: Mr Moloney: I am not staying at Bassett's place now. I first heard about the case in the paper. Afterwards I had a row with Bassett. The police s
aw me, and I told them what I knew.
Constable De Sails deposed: On March 19th. I went to the turn-off road to accused's place and Moonbi Hotel. I noticed where the tracks went to Wheatley's woolshed. The cart had been backed up to the landing stage, and in the shed I saw the tracks where a coil of netting had been removed. I followed the tracks of the cart, and found the coil of netting at the side of a tree. The net ting was covered with roly poly and bushes. The tracks were made by the horse Bassett was driving on the day the netting was missing. The horse was unshod, and there were marks of where portions of the shell of the hoof were broken off. I saw Bassett, and said, "Where did you go on Wednesday?" He said, "I went to Condobolin with this spring cart and horse," pointing to a horse and cart near by. Bassett said he left Moonbi Hotel about 11 o'clock. I asked him if he had called at Wheatley's woolshed, and he replied, "I don't know. I was pretty full." I said, "Do you remember picking up a coil of netting?" He replied, "No, I was not too drunk for that." I told him I had found a coil of netting in a paddock near his house, and asked him if he could account for its being there. He said,' "No, unless Wheatley put it there to catch me." I found the marks of the horse's hoofs corresponded with the tracks going to Wheatley's woolshed.
To Mr Moloney: I did not take the horse to the place, and compare his hoofs with the tracks made.
This was the case for the Crown.
Alfred Bassett deposed: I am a farmer and grazier, and hold Evergreen, Derriwong, and other properties. On March 17th I came from Derriwong to Condobolin, and back to my place via Moonbi. I was in a spring cart, and was driving a bay mare. I left Moonbi hotel about 11 o'clock, and was fairly sober. After I got about a mile or so I did not feel well. I went through a gate. I was sitting on a bag of chaff, and after a while I laid down in the cart. I don't remember anything until I passed the woolshed, when I ran over a log, and that, woke me up. The tail-board fell down, and two wheels I had in the cart fell out. I had six trace chains in the cart, and they also fell out. I put them back in the cart, and went on to an iron gate about 150 yards away. The night was very dark, and the mare at times wandered off the track. I arrived home at about 1 o'clock. I had two coils of netting at my place. I bought them off Mr William Golding in October, 1914. I paid 36/- a coil for the netting, and brought it home in my cart. I required the netting for fencing a garden. The netting (produced) was bought from Mr Golding. I had the netting in my woolshed. I was going to Sydney on February 16th. The tank was getting dry, and sheep were falling in, so I told a man named Taylor, to fence the tank in with wire netting, and when he had finished to bring home a load of firewood. I did not know whether Taylor had carried out ray instructions, as I did not see him after the 16th. Taylor said he had only used half a coil. I asked him where he left the other coil, and he took me down the paddock about half a mile away, and showed me. The place where Taylor showed me he had left the wire, was the place where the constable took the other coil from. There is a lot of traffic on the road past my place, a lot of traffic passing along from the main road along what is known as "The Driftway," to Forbes.
To the Crown Prosecutor: I did not tell the constable the netting was my property. The sticks were not on the netting when I saw it, but there was some roly poly. I hold a mortgage over some of Golding's stock. I had about six whiskeys before I left Moonbi. I am satisfied my cart went round by the woolshed. Taylor was with me at the police court on the second occasion after the remand, but not when I was first charged.
William H. Golding deposed: In October, 1914, I sold Bassett two coils of wire netting, and some sheep. I had about 30 coils of the same class as that here in court.
To the Crown Prosecutor: I owe accused nearly £ 200.
Roy K. Taylor deposed: I was working for Mr Bassett at Evergreen and Derriwong. Before going to Sydney in February, Bassett told me to take a coil of netting from his shed, and to fence around a waterhole. I fenced in the tank, because sheep were getting bogged there. On the way home I threw a coil of wire off the cart, and brought home a load of firewood. Some time after wards I went down the paddock to show Bassett where I left the netting. It was gone.
To the Crown Prosecutor: I am not engaged to Bassett's daughter.
William Underwood (re-called), deposed: I arrived at Moonbi on the 13th February. Bassett was in Sydney then. I did not see Taylor there until six weeks after I arrived.
That was the evidence for the defence.
The jury retired at 9 o'clock – on Tuesday night, and returned at half past 10, when it was announced by the foreman that no decision had been arrived at. His Honor ordered the jury to be locked up for the night, and on Wednesday morning it was announced that a verdict of guilty, with a strong recommendation to mercy, had been decided on.
Mr Moloney made an earnest appeal on behalf of Bassett. He asked that the provisions of the First Offenders' Act should be extended. Accused was a well-to-do man, who had no need to take the netting. He had a wife and children, and would not have taken the netting only he was under the influence of drink.
His Honor said he had no doubt that the jury, in making their recommendation to mercy, considered the question of Bassett being drunk at the time. It was another case of the evil of drink. Bassett had no need of the netting, which made the crime all the worse. He was considering the advisability of extending the provisions of the First Offenders' Act, but if he did so, it would mean that every man who was drunk when he committed a crime, could claim the same provision. Therefore he would sentence Bassett to six months' hard labor in Goulburn gaol, but he could not see his way clear to grant a remission of sentence under the First Offenders' Act.
Bassett was visibly affected, and was weeping while the Judge was making his remarks.

Alfred Bassett gaol photo
News-Arct13 October 1915 "The Sydney Morning Herald", Sydney, NSW, Australia;

CONDOBOLIN.-Before the local land board the Forestry Department complained that Alfred Bassett had committed a breach of the conditions of his scrub lease, No. 361, which included about 1200 acres of a forest reserve, by the ringbarking of a number of trees and the destruction of others by fire subsequent to the carrying out of the usual conditions under the supervision if the Forestry Department.
The case was brought on at the last sitting of the land board, and lasted the better part of two days. The Forestry Department brought a lot of evidence, backed up by photographs, to prove the destruction of valuable timber. On the other hand, a number of practical men were called by defendant to show that the timber destroyed was of no value. The evidence was so conflicting that the board decided that an independent report should be furnished, and Mr. A. G. Carruthers, C. P. Inspector, was instructed to inspect and report.
His report in effect stated that, taken on the whole, the work done on the lease compared favourably with similar work usually done under scrub and improvement lease conditions. Some of the work – the thinning out of the pine – was done in a most commendable manner. The timber burnt by fire was of no present value, and what little was burnt was, he understood, brought about by the burning of an old log fence which Bassett had been ordered to destroy by the rabbit inspector, same being a harbour for rabbits. Though of long practical experience, he could not say (nor could any other man) whether certain trees had been ringbarked subsequent to the original carrying out of the improvement conditions: but he was satisfied in his opinion that the lessee had made reasonable efforts to comply with the conditions of the lease.
Mr. Rhodes, who appeared for the defendant, raised the point, and tried to get the board to give a decision on it, that Bassett was in duty bound to carry out the instructions of the P.P. board’s officer to destroy the old fence which was a harbour for rabbits. The Forestry Department, on the other hand, held that Bassett bound to give three weeks’ notice of his intention to burn, and have such burning supervised. But the board refused to give a decision on the point.
The board after retiring for some time, gave its finding to the effect that the conditions of the lease had been reasonably complied with, and that the conditions of the lease had been reasonably complied with, and that the destruction of any timber by fire was not wilful, but carried out under instructions by the rabbit inspector.26 
Police-gzte20 October 1915 NSW, Australia;
Name: Alfred Bassett
Offence: Larceny
On whom committed: Horace Wheatley
Where and when tried: Forbes Q. S., 5th October, 1915
Sentence: 6 months H. L.27 
Police-gzte23 February 1916 NSW, Australia;
Date of Discharge: 19 Feb. 1916
Gaol: Goulburn
Name: Alfred Bassett
Offence: Larceny
Sentence: 6 months hard labour
Where and when tried: 6 Oct., 1915, Forbes Q. S.
Native Place: South Australia
Trade: Grazier
Year of Birth: 1864
Height: 5ft. 8 ½ in.
Complexion: fresh
Hair: brown
Eyes: brown
Sentence: 6 months H. L.28 
News-Arct12 July 1918 "The Forbes Advocate", Forbes, NSW, Australia;
(From Our Special Representative).
At the Condobolin Police Court on Wednesday and yesterday, before Mr Holcombe, P.M., Thomas M. Dunn was charged with stealing six sheep the property of .J. J. Leahy, of Euglo. Mr R. E. B. Reymond, of Forbes, appeared for the defendant. The prosecution was conducted by Inspector Mitchell, of Sydney.
Sergeant Small, of Sydney, gave lengthy evidence, also Frank Dun, station inspector for Leahy, and Ludlow John French, station manager at Euglo.
Edward Crowther, share-farmer at Clargo, was an important witness, and deposed: "I was at accused’s place in January or February of this year. I helped him to lamb mark. Dunn pointed to a sheep and said, 'Catch hold of it.' I caught it and turned it over. Dunn cut the ear-mark out with the pliers. The same thing was done to three or four hoggets. The sheep then had a tar brand square on their hips. A few days later the accused blotched the brand by means of a tarred rag on a stick. I had a conversation with Dunn, Alfred Bassett, and Norman Bassett in October last. Alfred Bassett said, "You are a lot of ------ fools.” Dunn asked why. Bassett replied, "you want to work your head a bit in this district. I will give you half price for all the sheep you can get, and run the risk." Accused and Bassett showed one another on a piece of paper how to take out ear-marks.
In reply to Mr Reymond, witness said: "I came originally from Goolagong, where my occupation was principally horse-breaking. I broke in horses for accused. I was at accused's place for a month at Christmas, and had free run of the house. Accused was frequently away and the house left open. As far back as October witness admitted he knew Bassett was suggesting sheep stealing. When the accused altered the earmarks, witness knew he was doing it to Euglo sheep. Bassett's suggestion had not had a bad effect on witness's mind. Witness admitted he did not say anything about these things till three weeks ago. Witness admitted that he had been in trouble himself, & had been committed for cattle stealing. He had borrowed a mare from Dunn. He did not say, “I am trying to put Dunn's pot on," but said that Dunn was trying to pinch him over the mare, and he would therefore pot him (Dunn) over the sheep. He admitted he had enlisted and was discharged.
Accused, who reserved his defence, was committed for trial at Condobolin Sessions to be held on August 14. Bail was fixed at £100, with one surety of £100 or two of £50.
Accused was next charged with the theft of two sheep, the property of Mrs Hope, of Birrark. Evidence was taken, and Dunn reserved his defence. He was committed for trial as before, the same bail being fixed. A third charge was withdrawn.

Alfred Bassett was charged with having in his possession, at Moonbi, a sheepskin, reasonably suspected of having been stolen.
Sergeant Small deposed: I went to defendant's place on June 19. Defendant was not there. I spoke to his two sons, Norman and Allen, and searched the premises for stolen sheep. I saw in the woolslhed certain sheepskins, and took possession of one now before the court. The right ear is missing, and the left ear is cut with a knife, and was done probably about the time the sheep was killed. Witness marked the skin for identification, the sons refusing to do so. Later he saw defendant, and told him what he had found. The defendant said he did not want to see the skin, as he knew it. He said he had skinned the sheep as it had a cancer on the ear, so he cut the ear off, and cut the registered ear brand with a knife. Witness said he noticed other skins hanging up with ears missing. Three similar skins were minus the registered earmark. Witness was of opinion that the sheep were stolen, and skinned to hide the theft.
Horace Wheatley, manager of Fairholme station, near Moonbi, deposed that defendant's place adjoined his. On April 9 his sheep were sixty short. He reported the loss to the police at Warroo. The skin in court was similar to witness' sheep.
Bassett, who pleaded not guilty, gave evidence as follows: I am a grazier, residing at Moonbi. I've had thirty years' experience with sheep. It is impossible to tell the age of a sheep from the skin. Witness killed the sheep, the subject of the charge. It was one of his own flock and breed. He cut the unregistered ear off close to the head, because it had a growth. He then cut a mark on the registered ear, because it looked unmarked. He passed through Wheatley's frequently, but had never seen sheep on the property like the one in question. Wheatley's sheep were very poor. He admitted he was first charged with stealing five sheep, but the police withdrew the charge.
Cross examined, Bassett stated: — "To make the unmarked ear appear like my heart brand, I cut it with a knife. I cut the other ear off, so as not to handle it when skinning. I decline to say if I sold half a sheep to a hotelkeeper in Condobolin. I decline to say if he paid me a cheque for meat supplied. I cannot say that I know another case of a two-tooth sheep with a growth on the ear. I am not too friendly with Wheatley. I was convicted for stealing wire netting from his place, and received six months' imprisonment. I was not found in possession of another man's bullock in Sydney, and compelled to truck it back to Condobolin. There is no truth in the statement that I suggested to certain people - to steal sheep, and I would pay half for them. I did not show anyone how to fake an ear mark.
Allen Bassett, son of defendant, said he had picked the sheep in question out of a thousand. He could not say if it was a ewe or a wether, but thought it was a wether. It was not in lamb. He could not say how it was marked. It was a six tooth. He noticed it had a growth on the ear. None of the carcase was sold. He could not say if his father sells mutton. It could be done without his knowledge. He would not make a mark on the skin when the Sergeant asked him, because he could see no reason for doing so. He was not afraid of putting his father into trouble if he did so.
Bassett was convicted, and fined £50 and costs.
The charge against Bassett of stealing five sheep was withdrawn.

Bassett was then charged with uttering a travelling permit, knowing same to have been altered. He was committed for trial at Condobolin Sessions on August 14. Light bail was fixed.
The evidence in this case was of interest. It was shown that Alfred Turner is an acting inspector under the Stock Board, with authority to issue permits. This authority he had on occasions delegated to his daughter, who is a clerk in his office. Miss Turner therefore signed the permits by and with her father's authority, and in her evidence she stated that she signed both when he was away and when present. The permit which was the subject of the charge against Bassett had been made out by Miss Turner for 450 sheep, as was proved by the carbon duplicate copy kept in the office. The 450 had been altered to 400, and portion of the lettering had been altered. It was now shown that Alfred Bassett had not personally applied for the permit—it was his son who did so. The P.M. was very, dubious about the merits, of the prosecution under these circumstances, but after consideration decided to commit the accused, at the same time hinting, that he did not think it likely a bill would be filed. This was shown by the small bail fixed.29 
News-Arct*18 July 1918 "The Western Champion", Parkes, NSW, Australia;
In consequence of the number of complaints that had been received regarding the alleged systematic sheep stealing in the Condobolin district (says a Condobolin message of Thursday last), Superintendent Walker, of the Criminal Investigation Branch, recently sent Sergeant Small a plain-clothes policeman, to make an investigation.
Small knocked about the stations for three weeks without revealing his identity, and was mistaken for a boundary rider and a drover.
Several charges of direct sheep stealing and many breaches of the Pastures Protection Act are set down for hearing before the police court, which opened yesterday afternoon before Harcourt Holcombe, police magistrate. The court was crowded, there being intense local interest.
Alfred Bassett, owner of both town and station properties pleaded guilty to a charge of travelling sheep without supplying full information of the brands and earmarks. He was fined £10, with £1 7/- costs. On a charge of having a sheepskin in his possession reasonably suspected of having been stolen, there being reasonable cause to believe that he came by it dishonestly, Bassett was fined £50 and costs.
Reece Vaughan Jones, a farmer, pleaded guilty to two charges, one of slaughtering cattle without notifying the inspector, and the other of using an unregistered brand. He was fined, in the first case, £5, and in the second £25. Costs were allowed in each case.
Thomas Martin Dunn, aged 31, was charged with stealing six sheep on February 1, the property of J. J. Leahy, of Euglo station. Lengthy evidence was given, Sergeant Small stating that earmarks had been altered and brands defaced. He was committed for trial at the Quarter Sessions to be held at Condobolin on August 14. Bail was allowed in £100. Dunn was also committed for trial on charge of stealing two sheep the property of Clara Ann Hope about June 24. Similar bail was allowed.
Inspector Mitchell, the police prosecutor at the Central Police Court, Sydney, conducted the prosecution. Detective Devlin has been here for a fortnight assisting in preparing the evidence.;Principal=Reece Vaughan Jones30 
Police-gzte24 July 1918 NSW, Australia;
Alfred Bassett, summoned before the Condobolin Bench by Sergeant 3rd Class Small and Constables Sivyer and Porteous, Sydney, Condobolin and Warroo Police, charged with having in his possession the skin of a sheep reasonably suspected of having been stolen, has been fined ?50, with ?1 16s. costs, in default six months’ hard labour. Fine and costs paid. Further charged on summons by F. W. S. Cox (Inspector of Stock) at the instance of Sergeant 3rd Class Small and Constable Sivyer, with uttering a permit to travel sheep knowing it to have been altered, has been committed for trial at Condobolin Sessions. Admitted to bail. Further charged on summons with supplying incorrect information when applying for a permit to travel sheep. Fined ?10, with ?1 7s. costs, in default two months’ hard labour. Fine and costs paid. Identical with discharged prisoner same name (vide Police Gazette, 1916, page 103).31 
News-Arct30 July 1918 "The Forbes Advocate", Forbes, NSW, Australia;
A £100 FINE.
What could be called the Alfred Bassett cases were gone into further at Condobolin Police Court, before Mr H. Holcombe, P.M., last week. Bassett was charged with altering the earmarks on sheep. He pleaded not guilty, & called three witnesses. The P.M. found the charge proved, and fined defendant £100 and costs. We believe that the latter handed in his cheque for the amount right away. Bassett was then charged with slaughtering without a license, but this charge was postponed for a fortnight on the application of defendant's solicitor. In the series of cases so far decided against him, Bassett has been fined £100, £50, £10, and court and witnesses' costs, and together with his own costs, has paid over the price of a good many sheep.
Police-gzte31 July 1918 NSW, Australia;
Alfred Bassett (54), charged with altering the ear-mark on a sheep, has been arrested by Sergeant 3rd Class Small and Constable Sivyer, Sydney and Condobolin Police. Fined ?100, in default nine months’ hard labour. Fine paid. Identical with offender same name (vide Police Gazette, 1918, page 338).33 
News-Arct31 July 1918 "The Lachlander", Condobolin, NSW, Australia;
Condoboiin's Record Court Cases
Alleged Sheep Stealing and Faking of Earmarks
Many Breaches of the P.P. Act
Committals and Heavy Fines.
Alfred Bassett charged that he did, within six months prior to the 11th July, 1918, alter the earmarks on a sheep. In this case it may be explained that the law does not allow a charge to me made for the offence of altering earmarks over a greater period than six months. Steps, however, so we understand; are being taken to amend the law, so as to cover a greater period. We may further add that every sheep so treated by altered earmark must constitute a separate charge, but, as in this case, other sheep alleged to have been altered may be brought into evidence as confirmation of the allegation.
Sergeant Small deposed: On the 16th June I saw the defendant near the boundary gate of Borambil and Mooney's. I had a conversation with him, and he asked me to count the sheep he was driving. I did so and said; There are 404, he said, That is correct. On the 18th June, in company with Constable Sivyer, I again saw the defendant near the railway trucking yards, Condobolin, driving the same sheep. I asked him, in the presence of Mr. Robert Brown, for the permit in respect of the sheep. He said he had given it to Mr. Brown, who then handed it to me, in the presence of defendant. The defendant is described in the permit as the owner of those sheep; I took eight out of the flock, and among them are the four now outside the court. We put the sheep in the yard and caught them one by one: I said to defendant, at the same time showing him sheep No 1 now outside the court, Where did you get this sheep? He said, I can't say where I got it. It is a Xbred, full mouth, earmark like half halfpenny out of the point of the ear and an irregular hole in the centre of the same ear. I showed him No 2 sheep now outside the court. It is a Xbred ewe.
Here Mr. Rhodes objected, on the ground that they were only charged with altering the earmarks of one sheep. The P.M. overruled the objection, and admitted the evidence, on the ground that it is evidence that defendant systematically defaced earmarks of sheep.
Continuing, witness said: It has a full mouth. The earmark is like a small back quarter in the registered ear and an irregular shaped hole in the centre of the same ear. In the centre of the unregistered ear there is also an irregular shaped hole and a slit from the hole to the point of the same ear. I said to defendant, Where did you get this sheep? He said, From Kearney, at Trundle, to the best of my belief. I caught a half-bred shropshire, with a full mouth and earmark like a square in the centre of the registered ear and a point notched out of the same ear; The unregistered ear was full, all unmarked. I said, Where did you get this sheep? He said, I can't say where I got it. I caught a comeback ewe, with a small diamond shaped hole in the ear, towards the point or tip, and a flat notch. I have this sheep outside the court. I said to defendant; Where did you get this sheep? He said, I can't say where I got it. The fourth sheep I took from a travelling mob last Sunday week. It is a comeback ewe, full mouth, and bearing defendant's registered tar brand, B S, on the side. It is earmarked with a slash on the unregistered ear and the earmark on the registered ear has been cut away, leaving an irregular shaped back quarter two inches long. The holes in the four sheep's ears are not taken out of the same part of the ear. In No 4 it is near the point or tip, in No 2 down towards the head, while No 1 and 3 are near the middle of the ear. I showed the fourth one to Bassett on the 10th inst., at the police station. I said to him, This is the sheep I took from Charles Brewer's flock; we were told that you sold him some; in fact you told me yourself at the yards. It is Branded B S; it is your brand? He had a look at its ear, and in its mouth, and said, I know where I got. it. This morning, outside the police court; I put the ear on to paper and cut out an exact copy of the earmark on each of the four sheep.
Mr. Rhodes objected to the paper marks being put in as exhibits. The P.M. went out and compared them with the earmarks on the sheep, and on returning said he found them to correspond exactly. Exhibits then accepted.
Continuing, witness said: I made a careful examination of the hole in the ear of Nos 1, 2, and 3, and the sheep I brought to compare with them (No 5:). I am stationed at the Flemington sale yards in the capacity of an expert in earmarks, brands, etc., specially chosen from the mounted police of the State. In the sheep under question there are no two holes alike, but they appear to be either a punch hole cut out of a heart or a heart put both ways on whatever mark was there. I produce a cardboard mark made with defendant's earmark pliers, a heart (pliers produced). The additional mark to No 1 ear is like a half-halfpenny in the point, and it is, in my opinion, a fake, as it is much larger than the authorised half half-penny. It is a bit over an inch inside, whilst the authorised size is three quarters of an inch square. I produce a piece cut out of paper with the half-halfpenny pliers, Euglo's registered earmark. The additional mark to No 2 is like a back quarter, but is only half the size of the authorised mark and therefore appears to be a fake also. The additional mark on the registered ear of No 3 is a small notch in the front. In my opinion the additional marks in the ear of No 1 have been made about three or four months. The marks as they are have not all been done at once. I think the mark has been something with the two tips taken off. I asked Bassett from whom he had bought that lot and he said from Mr. Bennett, of Wardry station. He said, I bought 763 merino wethers in February last, and I bought 80 rains from Charley Clemson, and about October last I bought 200 lambs from Tom Dunn; that is all the sheep I bought.
To Mr. Rhodes: Defendant did not tell me he bought sheep from Harrison. The scallop out of the ear of No 1 is a fake. I won't say what other mark it was, but in my opinion the marks on the sheep at present are not registered marks. The mark should consist of a single mark or a combination not exceeding two. There appears to be no necessity when an owner has a mark in the centre off the ear to register a half-halfpenny on the tip. Couldn't say if it would be possible for others to do that; there would be a heavy penalty for it. In my opinion the scollop of No 1 ear has been tampered with twice, because it is put on with something other than pliers. It has no resemblance to a diamond, because the point nearest the head is round. The punch holes in sheep No 2 and 3, are not similar; No 3 is larger. No 2 is similar to No 1. No 3 is similar, but the hole is a back quarter or bayonet. Can absolutely say the scollop has been done within six months, by the fact of the tenderness of the healing and no hair grown on it. Have had a lot of experience in those things, especially during the last 12 months. Bassett did say he did not know where he got No 1 sheep from; also said the same in the court yard yesterday.
Sergeant Ennis, Condobolin gave evidence to the effect that Bassett had never notified him of having any sheep oh his place with altered or defaced earmarks.
F. W. Cox, Stock Inspector, deposed that Bassett had not notified him of having any sheep with defaced earmarks, or of having dealt with any such sheep. Bassett's registered earmark was a heart in the centre of the ear.
Sergeant Small recalled said that similar sheep to those four had been notified to the police as stolen on the 10th July. An employee of Mr. Jackson Hope, whose place is about 8 miles from Bassett's, found 300 of their sheep to be missing.
Mr. Rhodes applied for an adjournment of the case, mainly to permit of expert evidence being obtained regarding the earmarks on the sheep. This was granted, to the 24th inst.
The case was continued before the P.M. last Wednesday.
Alfred Bassett deposed: I am a grazier and reside at Moonbie. I do a considerable amount of dealing in sheep and buy in both, small and large lots in this and other districts. I come into possession of sheep with various earmarks. Don't know the earmarks of every sheep I get; don't keep any record; only what I keep in my head. There could be all classes of earmarks on sheep in my place. I bought several lots outside the district; at Eugowra about 400 in one lot, 62 in another, about 66 in another and about 80 in another, all at the same time. As far as I can remember there were five or six different earmarks on each lot. I brought them to Evergreen and put them with the others there. Bought sheep from Clancy in March, 1916, and they consisted of different earmarks. Saw the sheep outside the court and just examined them. No 1 has a half-hapenny out of the ear; it is the one I am charged with altering the earmark of. I cannot say for certain where I got it from. It is a xbred. I did not alter its earmark. The mark on the registered ear is a square or a diamond in the centre of the ear, half-hapenny and No 1 on the top. Do not think the cardboard imitation produced is a correct representation of the earmark. I feel sure it is not. I examined the ear all over; it bears no mark of being tampered with recently; the hole in it has not been touched within the past six months. Been among sheep since I was 16 years of age. Examined the edge of the half-hapenny on the top of the ear; it is a perfect mark of the half-hapenny; it looks so to me, and I would say it has been done with the pliers. The edges of it all seem to have been done at the same time. I know it has been sworn by Sergeant Small that it has been done about three or four months, but I take it to be done when the sheep was but a lamb. I examined the mark carefully and could see no difference between the tips and rest of the cut. Know that Small swore that it was larger than the authorised half-hapenny; to this I say it might be a different size in different district; also that a mark gets bigger with age as the sheep grows, same as a brand on stock. Did not notice any freshness or tenderness about the cut; it was all alike to me. Have examined paper cut imitation of the ear of No 2 sheep and say it is not a correct representation of the hole in the ear. I would describe the holes as a square or a diamond. I examined both marks on the ear; the back quarter I take to be done with the pliers. There is not the slightest evidence of alteration. It seems to me to be a perfect mark. The card pattern of the ear of No 3 sheep does look a correct representation. Made a careful examination of this ear and consider the mark has not altered. I did not alter any of the marks; never altered any earmark in my life. Also examined No 4 sheep, with the small back quarter taken out of the ear; I say it has been taken out with the pliers. Consider the slit on ear of No 2 sheep was either made with a knife or torn out. Tearing out of ears frequently occurs on my place, by getting caught on the wires of the fence. The same might apply to any punch hole. I saw Mr. Rhodes put my registered pliers Into the earmark of No 2 sheep. They would take out slightly more than has been taken out. What Small says was done with my pliers could not be done with them. They are all aged sheep outside the court. Marking is mostly done at three months old. Think those outside the court were marked when lambs.
To Inspector Mitchell: These sheep were part of a mob taken from my place to be trucked to Flemington on my behalf, and left my place about the 14th June. I have no idea how I came by No 1 sheep. I believe I have it 2 1/2 years I did not notify the statutory authority I had these four sheep in my possession. No 1 in its present state does not bear a defaced mark. I am satisfied the half-hapenny mark on it is the correct mark, made with ordinary pliers.
Some time was taken up in cutting out a mark on card with the half-hapenny pliers by defendant in court at Inspector Mitchell's request, and comparing it with the representation of the ear mark. Defendant still persisted in his view that the mark in the ear was cut out (with the half-hapenny pliers—but not with that pliers in court. "Was it by a pliers of the regulation size?" pressed the Inspector. Defendant would not say. "But you are an expert," said the Inspector. "He can't be an expert," said the P.M., "if he never altered an ear in his life."
Continuing, witness said: As far as I know, the earmark does correspond with the regulation half-hapenny mark. I don't know what the regulation size is; never measured a mark in my life, and do not know the size of my own. In my opinion the hole in the ear was made with the proper pliers; I can't admit that it has four rounded corners. I have several documents for sheep purchased, but l have not a record of the marks on them. There may be many scores of sheep on my property of which I have no record of the marks. Do not know that Mr. Jackson Hope lost about 100, some of them with a similar hole in the ear. Referring to No 4 sheep, that is either a punch mark or a tear. I only ever altered one mark, on the dead sheep for which I was here convicted. I did it with a knife; that is not altering. I did ask Mr. Mooney to examine the earmarks of the sheep outside the court on my behalf. He did not tell me not to call him as a witness as his evidence would be against me. I referred to Clancey's earmark as two W's. I bought sheep from him, which might possibly account for the sheep in question being in my possession. There, were no earmarks given on the papers I received when I bought them, but the sheep had marks on them. I can show where I paid for them. I did not show the mark in the travelling permit at the time I bought them. A mark gets bigger in a sheep's ear, just as a brand does; I think an ear does also. Referring to the notch in the ear of No 3 sheep, it looks like a U. I happen to know that a man named Dunn uses the U pliers. I bought 200 lambs from him. One chop with my pliers would chop out the whole of the punch mark.
Then the cardboard with the mark was given to defendant, and he instructed to use the pliers on it to prove the correctness of the last statement. He did so. The card was handed to the P.M., who smiled and shook his head.
Henry Seymour Brown, stock and station agent, Condoboiin, deposed: I have had 26 years' experience among sheep. Have carefully examined the sheep outside the court-house. The ear of No. 1 sheep has like a half-penny out of the point. Saw Bassett's pliers held over the hole in the ear, and think it would be impossible to cut the hole with that pliers. The card exhibited does not show a correct representation of the mark in the ear 1 of No. 2 sheep, but looks somewhere near to it on the point. There is nothing to show that the marks on the sheep have been tampered with. The slit in the unregistered ear of No. 2 sheep could be caused by running into a wire fence and pulled out. The hole in it would be put in by the same pliers as the other ear. It is the same hole mark on the three sheep put in by the same pliers. There is nothing to show an alteration on the back notch of the registered brand of No. 3 sheep. Also saw the sheep with the back quarter taken out. In my opinion it has been another mark torn right off, or a mark put in carelessly with the pliers. Some people do the marking very hurriedly.
To Inspector Mitchell: I know Bassett 30 years, and have had business transactions with him, trucking sheep. I and my brother were present at the trucking of the last lot of sheep. Did not notice till my attention was drawn to it that some of them had marks that were not in the permit. We never examine the marks of sheep, when we truck. I don't see the ears of all the sheep we sell. I can't say whether these four sheep carry a registered earmark. I say the hole in the centre has been made with a proper pliers. A square pliers could make it. I am not an expert on earmarks. I do not know whether a square punch hole is authorised by the Department. I should say that a half-penny mark on the point of the ear is an authorised mark. The mark on the ear is a little bigger, but the growth would account for this. I won't go so far as to say an earmark does not grow on a sheep. I am not expert enough to say so.
Evidence was given by Warburton Grey Innes and Arthur Henry Brown which may be said to practically coincide with that given by the previous witness, H. S. Brown.
Requested by. Mr. Rhodes, the P.M. went into the yard and again examined the earmarks of the sheep. Sergeant Small handled the sheep and in each case used the pliers to show the marks could have been altered as stated in his evidence.
Mr. Rhodes addressed the Bench at some length, making special reference to the evidence of the four for the defence, all men of long practical experience, among sheep, and whose evidence went to show that Small was no expert at all. There was no evidence that the earmarks had been altered—if at all—within six months, and there was certainly no evidence that Bassett had wilfully altered them; and unless wilfully done, there was no offence.
The P.M., reviewing the evidence, pointed out that Bassett and the other witnesses said that certain things could not be done with the pliers, but he (the P.M.) went out into the yard and saw them, done by Sergeant Small. He was satisfied the earmarks had been altered, and by the defendant. Witnesses for Bassett all admitted they were not experts. Sergeant Small is an expert, and he had sworn that the marks had been altered within six months—in fact about four months. There was sufficient corroboration, in accordance with sub-section of the Act. There appeared to be no use in imposing a light penalty, so he would make the fine £100, together with court costs.34 
News-Arct16 August 1918 "The Forbes Advocate", Forbes, NSW, Australia;
Alfred Bassett appealed against two convictions recorded against him at the Police Court last month. One was upheld and one dismissed.35 
News-Arct17 August 1918 "The Sydney Morning Herald", Sydney, NSW, Australia;

CONDOBOLIN. –The Quarter Sessions opened on Wednesday, before Judge Scholes; Mr. T. S. Crawford, Crown Prosecutor. Alfred Bassett was charged with altering a permit, and also with uttering the permit, knowing it to be altered; but the jury, by the direction of the Judge, returned a verdict of not guilty. Alfred Bassett appealed against his conviction at the Police Court, Condobolin, on a charge of wilfully altering an ear mark on sheep. The appeal was upheld and the conviction quashed without costs. Bassett’s appeal against his conviction at the Condobolin Police Court on a charge of having in his possession part of a skin of a sheep reasonably suspected to be part of a stolen sheep, was withdrawn, and the conviction upheld, without costs.
News-Arct31 October 1919 "The Forbes Advocate", Forbes, NSW, Australia;
Interesting Cases.
Condobolin Quarter Sessions and District Court were held last week, his Honor, Judge Armstrong, presiding. Mr Crawford was Crown Prosecutor.
In the District Court, Herbert Wheatley sued Alfred Bassett for £400 damages, the claim arising out of an alleged assault on Wheatley by Bassett. The case was heard before a jury of four.
Mr Hardwick (instructed by Mr D. J. Moloney, of Forbes) appeared for plaintiff, and Mr Badham (instructed by Mr J. H. R. Rhodes) for defendant.
The trouble arose regarding some misunderstanding over a sheep deal, and much interest was evinced. The assault, it was alleged, took place in an agent's office, Bassett asked Wheatley over to look at a telegram and striking him a heavy blow in the face while reading it, inflicting painful injuries.
It was stated in evidence that Bassett had the offer of sheep at 18/-, and that a man named Warner also entered into negotiations, as a result of which Bassett had to pay 20/- for the sheep. Bassett contended that Wheatley had informed Warner that the sheep were a cheap lot, but Wheatley denied that he was the cause of Warner entering into the deal.
The jury returned a verdict for £20, the foreman stating that it was taken into consideration that Bassett had to pay £90 more for the sheep than he originally intended.
His Honor awarded costs, on the higher scale, against Bassett.37 
News-Arct20 April 1922 "Western Champion", Parkes, NSW, Australia;
Mr. Alf. Bassett met with rather a serious accident on Tuesday morning. Whilst exercising the racehorse Don Connor he saw a fox and took after it. He was thrown from the horse, but just how Mr. Bassett does not now know. After coming to his senses sufficiently he re-mounted the horse (which remained standing beside him) and was riding home when his sons met him and took charge of him. Dr. Quirk was sent for and lost no time in getting out to Mr. Bassett's home at Moonbie. It was found that the injuries consisted of a compound fracture of the elbow, one or two broken ribs, bad bruises about the body and gravel cuts about the face.38 
Police-gzte14 March 1923 NSW, Australia;
Parramatta.-A warrant has been issued by the Parramatta Bench for the arrest of Albert Edward Pry, charged with forging a cheque for ?51 10s., purporting to be signed by Alfred Bassett, in favour of Alfred Edward Pry, and uttering the same to Harry Clement Pepper, at Parramatta, on the 28th ultimo. Complainant, Alfred Bassett, Thelma, Lamont-street, Parramatta.39 
News-Arct9 January 1924 "The Daily Telegraph", Sydney, NSW, Australia;
CONDOBOLIN. — Four thousand acres of Fairholme station, adjoining Moombi Soldiers' Settlement, have been sold by Mr. Charles M'Phillamy, of Warroo, to Mr. Alfred Bassett, Parramatta.40 
Electoral Roll*1930 "Marune", Blackwood Avenue, Clovelly, NSW, Australia;
Bassett, Alfred, Marune, Blackwood avenue, grocer
Bassett, Emma Teresa, Marune, Blackwood avenue, home duties;Principal=Emma Theresa Whiley41 
News-Arct5 July 1932 "The Canberra Times", Canberra, ACT, Australia;

For False Income Tax Returns

SYDNEY, Monday.
“It is such men as these who make the burden of taxation so heavy on honest people.” Said Mr. Laidlaw, C.S.M. imposing fines totalling £400 on Alfred Bassett, retired grocer, at the Central Court to-day. Bassett appeared on two charges of having lodged false income tax returns
The magistrate said he had exposed himself to a penalty of £2,200.42 
News-Arct5 July 1932 "The Sydney Morning Herald", Sydney, NSW, Australia;

Retired Grazier Fined £400.

Alfred Bassett, a retired grazier, of Clovelly, was fined £400 in the Central Summons Court yesterday on charges of having attempted to avoid income tax by understating his gross receipts in the years 1929 And 1930.
John Rook, an officer of the Taxation Department, said that Bassett had evaded £41 in tax.
Mr R. M. Sturt, who appeared for Bassett said that Bassett was a very ignorant man. Bassett’s income tax returns had been prepared by a solicitor, who had died in mysterious circumstances. The solicitor had owed Bassett considerable sums of money when he died, and Bassett had trusted him completely.
Mr. Rook said that Bassett had signed both returns.
Mr. Laidlaw, C.S.M., said that Bassett might be a stupid man, but he also had a element of cunning. It was men like Bassett who made the taxation burden so hard for honest people.
Mr. Laidlaw ordered that Bassett be imprisoned until the fine was paid, but after representations had been made by Mr Sturt he allowed the warrant to lie in the office for three months.43 
Electoral Roll1933 1 Surfside Avenue, Clovelly, NSW, Australia;
Bassett, Alfred, 1 Surfside avenue, Clovelly, grazier
Bassett, Emma Teresa, 1 Surfside avenue, Clovelly, home duties
Bassett, Ivy Rubertine, 1 Surfside avenue, Clovelly, home duties
Bassett, Neta Meurine, 1 Surfside avenue, Clovelly, home duties;Principal=Emma Theresa Whiley41 
Electoral Roll*1936 1 Surfside Avenue, Clovelly, NSW, Australia;
Bassett, Alfred, 1 Surfside avenue, Clovelly, grazier
Bassett, Emma Teresa, 1 Surfside avenue, Clovelly, home duties;Principal=Emma Theresa Whiley41 
Death of Spouse23 September 1938 41 Boundary Street, Clovelly, NSW, Australia;
Name: Emma Theresa Bassett
Date of Death: 23 Sep 1938
Place of Death: 41 Boundary Street Clovelly, Municipality of Randwick NSW
Sex: Female
Age: 71
Conjugal Status:
Place of Birth: Condobolin NSW
Time in Aust Colonies:

Father: James Whiley
Occupation: Farmer and Grazier
Mother: Margaret (surname unknown)

Place of Marriage: Condobolin NSW
Age at Marriage: 21
Name of Spouse: Alfred Bassett
Children of Marriage: Percy A 46, Ida E 43, Fonzey C 41, Norman L 39, Alan S 37, Ivy M 32, Neta M 28 living, 2 males, 1 female deceased
Informant P A Bassett, son, 45 Main Street, Earlwood

Cause of Death: Coronary occlusion, chronic myocarditis
Length of Illness:
Medical Attendant: David Adcock
Date Last Seen: 22 Sep 1938

Date of Burial: 24 Sep 1938
Place of Burial: Presbyterian Cemetery Randwick
Minister & Religion: Wm J Grant, Presbyterian
Undertaker: Russell V H Kinsela, employed by Charles Kinsela Pty Ltd
Witnesses: S Ashby, T Strachan;Principal=Emma Theresa Whiley44 
News-Arct30 January 1941 "The Sydney Morning Herald", Sydney, NSW, Australia;

£7,300 Involved.


Twelve statements, alleged to have been made to the police by a solicitor, confessing to the appropriation of clients’ money totalling approximately £7.300, were tendered in evidence at the Central Police Court yesterday during the hearing of 11 charges against Reginald Easterby Taylor, 37, a solicitor.
Taylor was charged with omitting to account for £500 to Alfred Bassett. The other charges referred to the appropriation of £3,252 belonging to Alfred Bassett, of a further amount of £460 belonging to Alfred Bassett, of £432 belonging to Sarah Ann Wilson, of £600 belonging to Henry Winning Gray, of £717 belonging to Ruby Catherine Graham, of £789 belonging to Thomas Henry Small, of £655 belonging to the executors of the estate of the late Edward McNamara, of £385 belonging to Eric Raffell, and of £375 belonging to Rachael Clymer, and of the conversion of these moneys to his own use.
Detective Horace William Miller, of the C.I.B., said that at 9 p.m. on January 13, he saw defendant at his home at Maroubra, where he told him he had a warrant for his arrest on a charge of omitting to account to Alfred Bassett for £500 which he had received in connection with a mortgage.
Defendant allegedly replied: “So, he’s taken action, and he promised to assist me. There are other matters. It is my intention, subject to my counsel’s approval, to make a statement in connection with all these matters where I have failed to account to various clients of mine for moneys”. Subsequently, said detective Miller, the defendant, at the C.I.B., made a statement.

Taylor, according to the alleged statement, said:
“About the beginning of 1830 I was introduced by the manager of my bank – the Australian Bank of Commerce, Castlereagh Street branch – to a man named James Wilson. . . .
“Wilson was recommended to me as a man of very sound financial position and one in whom money could be safely lent. Acting on this recommendation, I introduced certain clients to Wilson, among others being Mrs. Fraser, Mrs. Gray, Mrs. Bennett, and Mr. Thompson, and they lent him money on my recommendation.
“Owing to the worry I commenced to drink heavily, and my health, owing to nerve strain, was seriously affected, and, in consequence, I let my office work fall into arrears. I can truthfully say that at times I was not aware of what I was doing, and, in consequence thereof resorted to my trust account, paying money to Wilson to the extent of about £1,300.
“Subsequently, Wilson, was made bankrupt, his statement of liabilities being £25,000, and his assets £157/10/, and neither myself nor my clients received any repayment of moneys that we had loaned. . . . I then discovered that my own liabilities and those of Wilson in my clients, on my recommendation, approaching £5,000.
“In the circumstances I considered that the honourable thing for me to do, in view of the fact that I had recommended Wilson to my clients, was that I should take over his liabilities and accepted full responsibility for the £5,000; this I did. . . .
“I was forced to wrangle my accounts, being afraid that if forced, my books would be examined, and my true position discovered . . . . From the time I left hospital until 1938 I did not touch drink of any sort, and from that time had only an odd drink . . .
“In about three years I consider I would, with the assistance of friendly clients, have reached a stage where I could have practised with a clear mind and without fear of consequences. . . .
“Although I have failed to account and misled my clients when I used their moneys for purposes other than instructed, I at no time intended to defraud them of same as it was my intention to reimburse them from my own income.”
Subsequently, said Detective Miller, the defendant made a separate statement in connection with each account.
To Mr. Kinsela, Detective Miller said that Taylor said, “I am glad you came,. I have been living in hell for the past eight years, I have been wangling with other people’s moneys trying to get out of the mire.”
The defendant was remanded to February 3, bail being allowed.
Sergeant Magnay prosecuted: Mr. E. P. Kinsela (instructed by Mr. W. Mayne) for the defendant.45 
Will*20 November 1942 Sydney, NSW, Australia;THIS IS THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of me ALFRED BASSETT of 10 Newcastle Street, Rose Bay near Sydney in the State of New South Wales Retired Grazier I REVOKE all previous testamentary dispositions made by me and declare this to be my last Will and Testament I APPOINT my sons PERCY ALFRED BASSETT and FONZEY CARROLL BASSETT to be my Executors and Trustees of this my will I GIVE DEVISE AND BEQUEATH the whole of my estate both real and personal to my trustees UPON TRUST to convert the same into money by sale or otherwise and to divide the proceeds among all my children who shall be living at the time of my death in equal shares and in the event of any of my said children predeaceasing me leaving issue THAN I direct that the share to which such child predeceasing me would have been entitled under this my will if he or she had not predeceased me shall be divided between the children of such child in equal shares or if only one to his or her absolutely I EMPOWER my Trustees to postpone the sale and conversion of any part of my estate for so long as they in their absolute discretion think fit without being responsible for loss AND I DIRECT that the income of unconverted property shall from the time of my death go and be applied in the same manner as the income of the proceeds thereof would have been applicable if the same had been converted AND I DECLARE that my trustees may at any time and from the time of my death go and be applied in the same manner as the income of the proceeds thereof would have been applicable if the same had been converted AND I DECLARE that my Trustees may at any time and from time to time (with the consent of the person entitled to any share of my estate under this my will) appropriate a specific part of my estate whether real or personal in satisfaction or part satisfaction of that share without giving any notice of the intended appropriation to any other person AND I AUTHORISE my Trustees to instrument and instruments and to all such acts and things as may be necessary to carry into effect any such appropriation as foresaid AND I DECLARE that my Trustees may join in any partition of my estate devised in trust for sale and in any such partition may consent to any arrangements for the payment or receipt or securing of any money for equality of partition.
IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my hand to this my Last Will and Testament at Sydney this Twentyth day of November in the year one thousand nine hundred and forty two.
Alfred Bassett
Eric Doolan, Hairdresser, 698 New South Head Road, Rose Bay
Henry O'Leary, 88
lucas Road, Burwood;Exec-Beneficiary=Fonzey Carrol Bassett, Beneficiary=Ida Emelia Taylor, Beneficiary=Norman Leslie Bassett, Beneficiary=Allen Seymour Bassett, Beneficiary=Ivy Rubertine Connolly, Beneficiary=Neta Meurone McGrath, Exec-Beneficiary=Percival Bassett46 
Electoral Roll*1943 369 Bunnerong Road, Maroubra, NSW, Australia;
Bassett, Alfred, 369 Bunnerong road, no occupation41 
News-Arct29 May 1944 "The Sydney Morning Herald", Sydney, NSW, Australia;
Attache Case Held 10 Years' Savings
Between 9.15 a.m. and 11 p.m. on Saturday £19,000 in notes disappeared from a case hidden under a bed in a house in Boundary Road, Clovelly. A search failed to find the money or provide a clue to its disappearance.
Mr. Alfred Bassett, 80, a property owner, believed that an attache case 14 inches long under his bed was as safe a depository as a bank. For more than 10 years he had crammed notes from £100 to £5 denomination into it.
When he opened the case soon after he awoke on Saturday morning the money was intact. When he was retiring at 11 p.m. the case was still under the bed, but only one £50 note was in it.
Detective-Sergeants Ramus, Dogan, and Newton, and Detective Barnes, assisted by Mr. Bassett's daughter and son-in-law, made a thorough search of the house yesterday, believing that the hoard of notes may have been placed in another hiding-place and forgotten by Mr. Bassett.
There was no indication that the place had been forcibly entered. The house had not been left unoccupied. Police believe that the robbery occurred after 8 p.m. on Saturday. Inquiries are being continued. The numbers on some of the notes of large denomination are known.47 
News-Arct*29 May 1944 "The Daily News", Perth, WA, Australia;
SYDNEY, Mon — Eighty-year-old Alfred Bassett, retired property owner of Boundary Street, Clovelly, from whom £19,000 was stolen on Saturday night, could not be interviewed today.
"It is no use trying to see him," his daughter, Mrs Collins, said. "If you try to go near him he'll bite your head off."
Mrs Collins added that she did not know how long her father had been keeping the money in the suitcase under his bed.
"It must have been there for a long time," she said, "but although my father lives with me he doesn't tell me all his business. He keeps to himself."
The home from which the money was stolen is a small brick cottage with a few feet of lawn in front.
Mrs. Collins said she thought the thief must have entered through a window while the family was having the evening meal at the rear of the house.
For more than ten years Mr Bassett had crammed notes of from £100 to £5 denomination into a small suitcase under his bed, believing this to be as safe as a bank.
[Note: This should be Mrs Connolly not Collins];Principal=Ivy Rubertine Bassett48 
News-Arct31 May 1944 "The National Advocate", Bathurst, NSW, Australia;
After failing to back a winner at the Harold Part trotting meeting on Saturday afternoon, 80 years old Alfred Bassett, investor, returned home to discover that he had been robbed of £19,000. Mr. Bassett, who lives in Boundary Street, Clovelly had placed the money in an old attache case hidden under a settee in his bedroom. Mr. Bassett, who is described as being meticulously tidy, became suspicious about 9 p.m. when he noticed that the cover of the settee was slightly out of position. He dragged out the case and found that the £19,000 was missing. The thief however, had left behind a £50 note. Police were told that the £19,000 had been accumulated by the recent disposal of several properties. Mr. Bassett, who is believed to possess large additional means, told detectives he came from the Condobolin district, where he owned properties about 20 years ago.49 
Death*26 September 1944 St Vincent's Private Hospital, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia;
Name: Alfred Bassett
Date of Death: 26 Sep 1944
Place of Death: St Vincent's Private Hospital, Darlinghurst, late of 41 Boundary Street, Clovelly
Occupation: Farmer and grazier
Sex: Male
Age: 80 years
Conjugal Status:
Place of Birth: Mount Pleasant, South Australia
Time in Aust Colonies:

Father: William Bassett
Occupation: Boot maker
Mother: Margaret unknown

Place of Marriage: Condobolin, N.S.W.
Age at Marriage: About 24 years
Name of Spouse: Emma Teresa Whiley
Children of Marriage: Percy A 52, Ida E 49, Fonzey C 47, Norman L 44, Allen S 42, Ivy M 37, Neta M 33 living; 2 males, 1 female deceased

Informant: P A Bassett, son, 12 Hamilton Avenue, Earlwood

Cause of Death: 1. Peritonitis 2. Carcinoma of sigmoid colon
Length of Illness: 1. 4 days 2. 6 months
Medical Attendant: W Maxwell, registered
Date Last Seen: 26 Sep 1944

Date of Burial: 27 Sep 1944
Place of Burial: General Cemetery, Randwick
Minister & Religion: W J Grant, Presbyterian
Undertaker: L H Bohlson, employed by Charles Kinsela Pty Ltd
Witnesses: S Lynch, C Whelan50 
Burial*27 September 1944 Randwick General Cemetery, Randwick, NSW, Australia;
Alfred & Emma Theresa Bassett headstone


Emma Theresa Whiley b. 24 Apr 1867, d. 23 Sep 1938


  1. [S1240] South Australian Birth Registrations 1842-1906.
  2. [S9] Birth Certificate, Alfred Bassett 1864.
  3. [S14] Death Certificate, 116/1867.
  4. [S1838] NSW Land Registry Services, online, CP 68-2734.
  5. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, The Riverine Grazier, Wednesday, February 24, 1886.
  6. [S1643] Condobolin All Saints Church marriages 1885-1936, Alfred Bassett & Emma Teresa Whiley 1888.
  7. [S14] Death Certificate, John Bassett 1897.
  8. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, The Daily Telegraph, Wednesday, August 2, 1899.
  9. [S1612] NSW 1901 Census, online, Alfred Bassett.
  10. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, The Lachlander, Friday, May 2, 1902.
  11. [S1594] NSW Police Gazette, 10 December 1902.
  12. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Sydney Morning Herald", Tuesday, 28 November 1905.
  13. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Sydney Morning Herald", Monday, 24 June 1907.
  14. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Sydney Morning Herald", Thursday, 3 June 1909.
  15. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Sydney Morning Herald", Wednesday, 13 July 1909.
  16. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, The Lachlander, Wednesday, July 21, 1909.
  17. [S1603] Keith Bassett photos.
  18. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, The National Advocate, Saturday, May 18, 1912.
  19. [S1463] Australian Pastoral Directory.
  20. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Western Champion", Thursday, September 25 1913.
  21. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Forbes Times", Friday, June 12, 1914.
  22. [S1594] NSW Police Gazette, 14 April 1915.
  23. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Forbes Times", Friday, April 23, 1915.
  24. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Forbes Advocate", Friday, July 2, 1915.
  25. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Forbes Advocate", Friday, October 8 1915.
  26. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Sydney Morning Herald", Wednesday, 13 October 1915.
  27. [S1594] NSW Police Gazette, 20 October 1915.
  28. [S1594] NSW Police Gazette, 23 February 1916.
  29. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Forbes Advocate", Friday, July 12, 1918.
  30. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Western Champion", Thursday, July 18 1918.
  31. [S1594] NSW Police Gazette, 24 July 1918.
  32. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Forbes Advocate", Tuesday, July 30, 1918.
  33. [S1594] NSW Police Gazette, 31 July 1918.
  34. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, The Lachlander, Wednesday, July 31, 1918.
  35. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Forbes Advocate", Friday, August 16, 1918.
  36. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Sydney Morning Herald", Saturday, 17 August 1918.
  37. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Forbes Advocate", Friday, October 31, 1919.
  38. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "Western Champion", Thursday, 20 April, 1922.
  39. [S1594] NSW Police Gazette, 14 March 1923.
  40. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, The Daily Telegraph, Wednesday, January 9, 1924.
  41. [S1418] Australian Electoral Rolls 1903-1980.
  42. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Canberra Times", Tuesday, 5 July 1932.
  43. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Sydney Morning Herald", Tuesday, 5 July 1932.
  44. [S1294] NSW Death Registration Transcription.
  45. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Sydney Morning Herald", Thursday, 30 January 1941.
  46. [S201] Will.
  47. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Sydney Morning Herald", Monday, 29 May, 1944.
  48. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, "The Daily News", Monday, May 29, 1944.
  49. [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online, The National Advocate (Bathurst), Wednesday, May 31, 1944.
  50. [S14] Death Certificate, Alfred Bassett 1944.
  51. [S14] Death Certificate.
  52. [S51] Neville Bassett.
  53. [S9] Birth Certificate.