M, #7664, b. 3 November 1878, d. 22 May 1947
|Father||Pierce Collits1 b. 13 Mar 1840, d. 7 Aug 1914|
|Mother||Elizabeth Jones1 b. 25 Aug 1852, d. 17 Jul 1932|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 2 times removed of Keith Graham Bassett|
|Last Edited||23 Sep 2022|
|Birth*||3 November 1878||Forbes, NSW, Australia1|
|Marriage*||2 April 1900||Forbes, NSW, Australia;Bride=Phoebe Caroline Johnson2|
|News-Arct*||29 June 1908||"The National Advocate", Bathurst, NSW, Australia;|
A Forbes Divorce
His Honor, Acting-Judge Scholes, heard the petition of Phoebe Caroline Collits, formerly Johnson, for a dissolution of her marriage with John Collits, on the ground of desertion, Mr. Hammond, instructed by Mr. Maloney, appeared for petitioner. The parties were married at Forbes on 2nd April, 1900, by the Rev. W. J. Glasson, according to the rites of the Church of England. There were two children. After the first nine months of their married life he did not support her. His Honor found the issues proved in petitioner's favor.
;Principal=Phoebe Caroline Johnson3
|Marriage*||17 June 1914||Sydney, NSW, Australia;Bride=Clara Layden4|
|Death of Father||7 August 1914||Sand Hills, Forbes, NSW, Australia;Principal=Pierce Collits5,6|
|Death*||22 May 1947||Parramatta, NSW, Australia7|
|News-Arct*||15 August 1947||"The Forbes Advocate", Forbes, NSW, Australia;|
Mr. Jack Collits
Mrs. J. Burrows, who has been visiting Forbes for the past fortnight and left for her home at Darlinghurst this morning, informed us of the recent death of her brother, Mr. Jack Collits, second son of the late Pierce and Mrs. Elizabeth Collits, of Sand Hills, Forbes. The deceased, who was 68 years of age, was born in the Forbes district, where he spent his school days, and first worked for the defunct firm of J. Manson & Co., drapers. He went away to the Boer war and afterwards joined up with the Imperial Light Horse, as a result of which he was accorded a soldiers' funeral following his death in the city. In addition to Mrs. Burrows deceased is survived by the following brothers and sisters: Harry (Forbes), Joseph (Sydney), Mrs. Lil McMahon (Narrabri), Mrs. Bessie McRae (Forbes), and Mrs. Lydla Hughes (Como, Sydney).8
|Phoebe Caroline Johnson|
- [S1472] NSW Birth Indexes, 12389/1878 John Collits.
- [S1481] NSW Marriage Indexes, 3731/1900 John Collits & Phoebe C Johnson.
- [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/, The National Advocate, Monday, June 29, 1908.
- [S1481] NSW Marriage Indexes, 5250/1914 John Collits & Clara Laydon.
- [S1473] NSW Death Indexes, 13052/1914 Pierce Collitts.
- [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/, The Forbes Advocate, Tuesday, August 11, 1914.
- [S1473] NSW Death Indexes, 12387/1947 John Leslie Collits.
- [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/, The Forbes Advocate, Friday, August 15, 1947.
- [S1472] NSW Birth Indexes, 28167/1900 Ethel M Collits.
- [S1472] NSW Birth Indexes, 29915/1903 Wilhelmina K Collits.
- [S1472] NSW Birth Indexes, 41901/1925 Gladys D Collits.