F, #4686, b. 23 January 1815, d. 20 August 1892
|Father||Richard Tyrrell2 b. 14 Oct 1793, d. 22 Oct 1884|
|Mother||Mary Wright3 d. Jan 1831|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandmother of Keith Graham Bassett|
|Charts||Ancestors of Keith Graham Bassett|
|Last Edited||5 Apr 2022|
|Name Variation||Susan Wright1|
Many researchers have Susan(nah) as the daughter of James Wright and Susannah Dutchman, but at her first marriage to William Newell her father is recorded as Richard Tyrrell. For her son Thomas' birth she is recorded as Susan Tirrell
|Baptism*||23 January 1815||South Acre, Norfolk;|
When Baptized: 23 Janry 1815
Child's Christian Name: Susan Daughter of
Parent's Names: Richard and Mary Turrel
Quality, Trade, or Profession: Labourer
By whom the Ceremony was performed: Martin Hogg Rector3
|Death of Mother||January 1831||Rougham, Norfolk;Principal=Mary Wright4|
|Marriage*||21 May 1839||Great Dunham, Norfolk;|
William Newell, full age, bachelor, Labourer, Great Dunham (father John Newell, Labourer)
Susan Wright, full age, spinster,, Great Dunham (father Richard Tyrrell, labourer)
Witnesses Thomas Newell & Elizabeth Newell;Groom=William Newell1
|Married Name||21 May 1839||Newell5|
|News-Arct||10 July 1839||"The South Australian Record", Adelaide, SA, Australia;|
Positively to Sail on the 1st of August, being under Engagement to her Majesty's Commissioners of Colonization,
FOR SOUTH AUSTRALIA, DIRECT,
THE fine first-class Ship, DUCHESS of NORTHUMBERLAND, 600 tons. FREDERICK GEARE, H. C. S., Commander. Lying in the London Dock.
This Vessel has excellent and spacious accommodations for Passengers in both Cabins and Steerage, having great height between Decks. Will carry an experienced Surgeon.
For Freight or Passage apply to the Commander, on board, between 12 and 2 o'clock, or to JOHN PIRIE & Co., 3 Freeman's Court, Cornhill.
|Emigration||6 August 1839||"Duchess of Northumberland", London;William Newell and his wife Susannah nee Wright;Passenger=William Newell7|
|Immigration*||17 December 1839||"Duchess of Northumberland", Adelaide, SA, Australia;William Newell and his wife Susannah nee Wright;Passenger=William Newell7|
|News-Arct*||21 December 1839||"The South Australian Register", Adelaide, SA, Australia;|
PORT ADELAIDE SHIPPING.
Dec 17.—The ship Dutchess of Northumberland, 540 tons, Frederick Geare commander, from London 5th August, with cargo of sundries. Passengers Dr Duncan with two children and tutor, Capt and Mrs Brewer, Mr M Kean, Dr Palmer, surgeon superintendant, and 222 emigrants. Agents—C. Beck & Co.;Principal=William Newell8
|Death of Spouse||17 September 1854||Rowland's Flat, SA, Australia;|
When Died: September 17 1854
Name and Surname: William Newell
Age: Thirty Nine Years
Rank or Profession: Farmer
Cause of Death: Inflammation of the Lungs;Principal=William Newell9,10
|Married Name||2 April 1856||Pilz11|
|Marriage*||2 April 1856||St George Church, Gawler, SA, Australia;|
Groom: Charles Auguste Hermann Pilz
Quality, Trade or Profession: Farmer
Residence: Rowland's Flat nr Moorooroo
Bride: Susannah Newell
Quality, Trade or Profession:
Residence: Rowland's Flat nr Moorooroo
Date of Marriage: 2nd April 1856
Place of Marriage: St Georges Church, Gawler, SA
Minister: W. H. Coombe
Religion: Church of England
;Groom=Charles Auguste Hermann Pilz11
|Death of Father||22 October 1884||Rougham, Norfolk;|
When and Where Died: Twentysecond October 1884, Rougham
Name and Surname: Richard Tyrrell
Age: 84 years
Rank or Profession: Farm Labourer
Cause of Death: Old Age, Certified by Henry Raven F.R.C.S.E
Signature, Description, and Residence of Informant: The mark of Martha Kittle , Present at Death, Rougham;Principal=Richard Tyrrell12
|Death*||20 August 1892||Minyip, VIC, Australia;|
When and where Died: 20th August 1892 at parish of Dunmunkle
Name and Surname, Rank or Profession: Susannah Piltz
Sex and Age: Female, 74 years
Cause of Death: Bronchitis
Duration of last Illness: weeksy whom verified:
When he last saw Deceased: August 1892
Name and Surname of father with Rank or profession: James Wright, Farm Labourer
Name and Maiden Name of Mother: not known
Signature, description and Residences of Informant: Thomas Newell, Son, parish of Dunmunkle
When and where buried: 22nd August 1892, Minyip Public Cemetery
Undertaker by whom certified: James Hugh Brady
Where born: Norfolk, England
How long in the Australian Colonies, stating which: 52 years, South Australia 38 years, Victoria 14 years
Where Married, at what Age, and to whom: Norfolk England, 20 years, Thomas Newell
later Gawler South Australia, 28 years, Hermann Piltz
Issue, in order of Birth, their Names and Ages: By former marriage, John Newell 50, Elizabeth Newell 48, Thomas Newell 46, Mary Ann Newell 40, Robert James Newell 38
by present marriage, Amelia Matilda Piltz 35 years13
|Burial*||22 August 1892||Minyip Public Cemetery, Minyip, VIC, Australia;|
|News-Arct*||26 August 1892||"The Bunyip", Gawler, SA, Australia;|
The Late Mrs. Piltz. — Our obituary space contains the announcement of the death of Mrs. Herman Piltz at Minyip, Victoria. Mr. and Mrs. Piltz were at one time well known in Gawler, and resided here for up wards of 20 years. The deceased lady leaves three sons, three daughters, forty-seven grand children, and five great grand children. Mrs. David Thomson, Junr., of this town, and Mrs. James Milgate, of Lyndoch, are daughters of the deceased.
PILTZ.— On the 21st of August, at Minyip, Yictoria, Susannah Piltz, dearly beloved wife of Herman Piltz, aged 70 years, leaving a family of six (three sons and three daughters) forty-seven (47) grand-children, and five (5) great-grand children. Deeply regretted by a large circle of friends. A colonist of 53 years, arrived in the ship “Duchess of Northumberland.” Her end was peace.15
|William Newell b. 29 Jan 1815, d. 17 Sep 1854|
|Charles Auguste Hermann Pilz d. 7 Jun 1909|
- [S49] Marriage Certificate, William Newell & Susan Wright 1839.
- [S49] Marriage Certificate, William Newell & Susan Wright.
- [S1670] Ancestry Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts 1685-1941, online https://ancestry.com, baptism Susan Turrel 1815.
- [S1678] Findmypast Norfolk Burials, online http://www.findmypast.com/, Mary Thurrol 1831.
- [S49] Marriage Certificate.
- [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/, The South Australian Record, Wednesday, July 10, 1839.
- [S1242] South Ausralian passenger lists 1836-1851.
- [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/, The South Australian Register, Saturday, December 21, 1839.
- [S1556] South Australian Death Registrations transcript (Keith Bassett), William Newell 1854.
- [S1400] SA Register Personal Notices 1836-1870.
- [S1819] Family Search Gawler Parish Registers, online https://familysearch.org, marriage Charles Auguste Hermann Pilz & Susannah Newell 1856 [page 14].
- [S14] Death Certificate, Richard Tyrrell 1884.
- [S14] Death Certificate, Susannah Piltz.
- [S14] Death Certificate.
- [S1565] Trove digitised newspapers, online http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/, The Bunyip, Friday, August 26, 1892.
- [S1700] Ancestry Australia, Births and Baptisms, 1792-1981, online https://ancestry.com, John William Newall 1842.
- [S1240] South Australian Birth Registrations 1842-1906.
- [S1626] Ancestry Public Member Trees, online https://ancestry.com
- [S1696] Findmypast South Australia Births 1842-1928 Transcription, online http://www.findmypast.com/, Amelie Mathilde Pilz 1856.